Monday 11 January 2016

Almost Ready for the Great Depart

Sunday, 13 July 2008

Almost there!


Days to go! Most arrangements made. Panniers packed. Bike back. Weather improving!


Not that much by way of training. Went to Otley for short spin on Thursday using MTB. Was going well until I was turned back by the Police coming out of Otley because there had been an accident somewhere up the Chevin road. Weighing up the options I decided that the Old Leeds Road was probably the best bet, even if a tad on the steep side (it's got chevrons on the road map). To put that into a context, I have only once before touched this road on a bike. That time I was descending. Once the computer touched 50 (yes, that's fifty) I thought I had better start braking for the T junction at the bottom. I will never do that again, but the speed of descent tells you that it was a bit of a struggle to get up it, but I did it. Ok, I stopped twice. Once to mop my brow and the other time to answer the 'phone. Chuffed to bits!


After that, got Dawes back Friday. Must just say Cycle Sense at Tadcaster were brilliant. Not only did they fit me in at short notice but the service the bike got has left it running better than ever. So got out yesterday with John for a 50 miler around Knaresborough and Wetherby. This time I was carrying full panniers as they are ready to go. John had his panniers on for the first time. I was amazed at the weight - it felt like I was working for Eddie Stobart! Photo above to demonstrate! We both got round despite some fairly blustery head winds and we both felt we had plenty left in the tank. Both of us had slight aches to legs this morning, so it must have been a good workout.


Weather has improved over the week, and the ten day forecast is good for Cornwall next weekend. Need to try and get a couple of runs out in before Thursday, although lots of other things to do so that might prove hard. Just itching to get out there and do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment